Here's to Having a Safe Summer
Every year, almost 8,600 Americans are injured by fireworks and almost 5,000 people are injured by charcoal/wood-burning and propane grills. Summertime should be a time where memories are made and the outdoors are enjoyed.
Being mindful of the following tips, will help your summer end on a happy note:
- When using a charcoal grill, only use starter fluids designed for barbecue grills-DO NOT add fluid once the coals have been lit.
- When using a gas grill, be sure that connection hoses are intact and tight. Using soapy water along the hoses is a great way to safely identify any leaks.
- Be sure to extinguish all smoking materials when finished with them.
- When camping, always use a flame retardant tent and set it up away from the campfire. Only use battery operated lights and lanterns inside the tent.
- ALWAYS build a campfire down wind from the tent area. Clear vegetation and dig a pit or use a certified fire ring.
- Consider leaving firework use to trained professionals and keep a safety area of at least 500 feet from displays.
Your #WeAreLocal GREEN Team wants everyone to have a safe and happy summer!